PREEMPT_RT is a set of maintained kernel patches supporting realtime operations. Historically, ARM platform support has ‘bit-rotted’ over time; there being a lack of ongoing testing and maintainance. As well as adding features, we need to bring PREEMPT_RT into a continuous integration loop. Other patchsets of interest to networking include NO_HZ_FULL. There may be some cross over with zero overhead Linux.
- TBD (but the Cortex-A15 patches were done with ARM’s TC2)
- Use Open Embedded stack?
- PREEMPT_RT Kernel tree with integrated support for PREEMPT_RT
- PREEMPT_RT features - Highmem support, avoiding IPIs to isolated cores when TLB ASID wraps
- Patches and support into the upstream PREEMPT_RT open source project
- Linaro image tools with support for creating images from including PREEMPT_RT for the test platform(s)
- Continuous integration instance providing automated builds of the PREEMPT_RT Kernel tree against the Linaro toolchain - available from ci.linaro.org
- Documentation (wiki pages) covering how to structure the code (eg platform specific vs core code), as well as how to build, deploy and use the provided images
- Documentation on the maintainership and upstreaming process available from Linaro wiki
Link to Etherpad for this session can be found at: http://pad.linaro.org/Networking-PREEMPT-RT